Get a Disabled Facilities Grants for Home Improvements UK

If you are disabled, did you know that you could get a grant from your local council to make changes to your home? A Disabled Facility Grant from the government can pay for some much needed home modifications such as widening doors and installing ramps for wheelchair access. Perhaps you need a downstairs bathroom or a stair lift installed. Whatever your particular needs are, this grant can help pay for all of these home adaptations which will enable you to live more comfortably in your home.

How Much Can I Get?

How much you get depends on your household income and any savings over £6,000.

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible you must own or rent your property and intend to live in that property for next 5 years (the current grant period). Landlords can also apply for the grant. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

The council needs convincing that the home modifications are necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs and that the work can actually be done which will depend on the age and condition of the property.

You’re going to need to know what type of changes are needed to make life easier, what type of work is needed to make these changes and then the cost.

Unsure of the home improvements needed?

If you’re not sure what sort of changes you need, an occupational therapist can take a look at your circumstances and recommend the type of changes you need and which would benefit you most.   If you don’t have an occupational therapist your local GP can put you in touch with one.  If you have yet to be assessed, read on:

How to get Assessed?

Head over to this page: if you want social services to assess your needs. There you will put your postcode and it will take you to your local council website.  If there is not a page about the Care Act Assessment then just call the council directly as their website might not be up to date.

How to Apply for the Grant?

To apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant, head over to this page and put your postcode in box. You will then be able to start the process as it will take you to your local council website. If your local council website doesn’t have a page dedicated to this grant, just give them a call and they should point you in the right direction.

Bathroom Installations

We will be happy to give you a quote for any adaptions to a bathroom, whether that’s just adapting your current bathroom or installing a new walk in shower or wet-room we can help. Just fill out the form below and we will send you a brochure.

Request Free Brochure & Prices

walk in shower for the elderly